Through the Center for Automotive Systems Technologies and Testing, Luleå University of Technology aims to first of all support automotive winter testing in Northern Sweden. This means to support the local automotive test entrepreneurs and through them their customers: the car manufacturers and their suppliers.
To succeed in this task, the center relies on the university’s areas of leading research and most importantly on the cooperation between those areas.
Research has been done in two projects;
- REMOTE VEHICLE DYNAMICS
- This project explores new ways of using vehicle dynamics during winter testing. The goal is new or developed services for service providers thus make testing more effective for the automotive industry. Tests have been performed with the developed and proposed framework for distributed vehicle testing. A Java-based visualization client has been developed for DEMO purposes that present data in a rich 3D environment, thus enabling non-experts to understand the dynamic behavior of complex vehicle systems and present data in various ways. In the project we would also like to explore how driver models, Automated Steering Controller, vehicle dynamics, GPS technologies and Fleet Management can enable standardized, safe and productive test processes. We believe that the future of vehicle testing will be standardized with more testing done by the service provider. This is why tools and methods need to be developed to meet this future.
- ROAD SCANNING, VEHICLE SIMULATION AND NAVIGATION
- The research is about scanning the road and its immediate environment in 3-D producing a point cloud representation of it. Each point will get coordinates in a suitable coordinate system to generate a point cloud. The road topography can be generated from the point cloud and it will be used as input to vehicle simulations in real-time in order to enable fast-acting damping control, warning systems, vehicle control systems and even automatic collision avoidance systems. Using the measured road topography, new smart algorithms for dynamic calculations can be developed with the use of co-simulation between Matlab/Simulink and MCS.ADAMS/Car. This will be done building on the foundation of “Distributed Validation of multi-body dynamics and control systems for automotive applications”
Role: Project applicant, leader and supervisor
Type: Research & PhD candidate project
Keywords: Distributed Collaborative Engineering, Simulation Driven Design, Engineering Design
Application area: Automotive
Time frame: 2005-2010
Funding: 7 MSEK
Research unit: Luleå University of Technology
- AVL-DRIVE pre-study report / Nybacka, M., Holmlund, D. & Danner, C. 2009 Luleå : Luleå tekniska universitet. 63 p. (Research report / Luleå University of Technology).
- Collaboration in winter vehicle testing: real-time simulations boosting innovation opportunities / Nybacka, M., Larsson, T. & Ericson, Å. 2007 Trends in computer aided innovation: 2nd IFIP working conference on computer aided innovation. León-Rovira, N. (ed.). Springer p. 211-220. 8 p. (IFIP International federation for information processing; 250).
- Distribuerad simulering och visualisering av fordonsdynamik i realtid / Nybacka, M. & Larsson, T. 2007 Svenska Mekanikdagar 2007: Program och abstracts. Davidsson, N. & Wassvik, E. (eds.). Luleå tekniska universitet p. 92. 1 p. (Research Report / Luleå University of Technology; 2007:10).
- Distributed real-time vehicle validation / Nybacka, M., Larsson, T., Johanson, M. & Törlind, P. 2006 Proceedings of IDETC/CIE 2006. Vol. 3. ASME Press p. 805-812. 8 p.
- Distributed vehicle testing: dynamic simulation for automotive winter testing / Nybacka, M. 2007 Luleå : Luleå tekniska universitet. 39 p. (Licentiate thesis; 2007:28).
- Exploring technologies for service provision in automotive winter testing / Nybacka, M. 2009 Luleå : Luleå tekniska universitet. 85 p. (Doctoral thesis / Luleå University of Technology).
- Opportunities in automotive winter testing / Nybacka, M. 2010 Proceedings of the ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference 2009: DETC 2009. 6. ASME Press p. 879-886. 8 p.
- Prospective service innovation in automotive testing: beyond distributed technology / Nybacka, M., Ericson, Å. & Larsson, T. 2010 In : International Journal of Technology Intelligence and Planning. 6, 1, p. 14-31. 16 p.
- Range data in vehicle dynamic simulation / Nybacka, M., Fredriksson, H. & Hyyppä, K. 2009 International Workshop on Research and Education in Mechatronics. University of Strathclyde 6 p.
- Road grip test in Arjeplog / Engström, N., Andrén, H., Nybacka, M., Fransson, L. & Larsson, R. 2008 Luleå : Luleå tekniska universitet. 102 p. (Technical report / Luleå University of Technology; 2008:17).
Nybacka, M, Fredriksson, H & Hyyppä, K 2009, Range data in vehicle dynamic simulation, Paper presented at International Workshop on Research and Education in Mechatronics, Glasgow, United Kingdom. 10. – 11. September.
- Using Timber in a multi-body design environment to develop reliable embedded software / Eriksson, J., Nybacka, M., Larsson, T. & Lindgren, P. 2008 Intelligent vehicle iniative (IVI) technology controls and navigation systems, 2008. Society of Automotive Engineers, Incorporated 8 p. (SP / Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE; 2193).
- Vehicle validation visualization / Nybacka, M., Larsson, T. & Karlsson, T. 2006 Proceedings of Virtual Concept 2006: Interactive Design and Manufacturing Methodologies, Tools and Processes. 2. Springer 7 p.
- Fredriksson, H, Danielsson, P, Rönnbäck, S & Hyyppä, K 2008, snowBOTs: Gyro guided steering of a teleoperated tractor during winter conditions, Paper presented at International Workshop on Research and Education in Mechatronics 2008, Bergamo, Italy. 18. – 19. September.
- Fredriksson, H, Rönnbäck, S, Berglund, T, Wernersson, Å & Hyyppä, K 2007, ‘snowBOTS: a mobile robot on snow covered ice’, In Robotics and Applications and Telematics: RA 2007, Acta Press.
- Danielsson, Peter, Teleoperated tractor: development of a graphical user interface. Master’s thesis, Luleå University of Technology, 2008.
- Rönnbäck, S 2008, ‘Circle sectors for detection of oncoming cars in range data’, In 4th International IEEE Conference Intelligent Systems: IS ’08, IEEE pp. 17-40-17-45.
- Fredriksson, H 2007, Navigation sensors for mobile robots, Licentiate thesis, Luleå tekniska universitet, Luleå (Licentiate thesis / Luleå University of Technology; 2007:54).
- Rönnbäck, S, Berglund, T, Fredriksson, H & Hyyppä, K 2006, ‘Circle sector expansions for on-line exploration’, In Proceedings of the 2006 IEEEInternational Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics, IEEE pp. 1227-1232.
- Rönnbäck, S, Berglund, T, Fredriksson, H & Hyyppä, K 2006, ‘Signature graphs for effective localization’, In 2006 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, IEEE pp. 288 – 293.